Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day!


I knew Earth Day was approaching, but I hadn't really given much thought to it, as far as this blog.  This morning, I realized that since this blog site is about using God's resources in the best possible way and making choices that show good stewardship of those resources,  I decided that a post would be an appropriate way to mark the day.


I try to cut down on waste by eliminating unneeded packaging such as cans and boxes.  Using foods that are less processed means I do a little more work, but the trade off is that I have more control on what my family eats and less packaging to go to the land-fill.  Also, it usually means that I save money. Thirty years ago, I started using a recipe that helped me do just that.  


Many casserole recipes call for a can of soup.  This recipe replaces the canned version and doesn't take much more time or effort than opening the can.  In my opinion, the added benefit is that the end result tastes fresher.


Basic White Sauce 
Melt in saucepan.
3 TB. butter

Blend in
3TB flour
1/4 t. salt
Cook and stir until bubbly.

Whisk in
1 cup milk, stock or combination
Cook until smooth and thickened.

This is comparable to 1 can undiluted soup.

Celery Sauce  
Saute 1/2 cup chopped celery and 1 T. finely chopped onion in butter before adding flour.

Cheese Sauce 
Add 1/2 cup grated cheese and 1/4 t. dry mustard.

Mushroom Sauce 
Saute 1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms and 1 T. finely chopped onion in butter before adding flour.


Chicken Sauce 
Use chicken broth or bouillon as half the liquid.  Add 1/4 t. poultry seasoning or sage and diced cooked chicken if available.


Please share the ways in which you make good choices for the environment.



2 comments:

  1. Debbie,

    Your white sauce sounds excellent all by itself. A great cold weather food choice. Particularly the chicken.

    Have you ever used it with beef?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, Thanks. it is very good. I should have added that there are many other variations. Yes, I have made it with beef stock. Often, I put it over noodles. When a recipe calls for 2 different cans of soup like mushroom and beef, I double the recipe and add the mushroom ingredients to the beef stock. Thanks, Debbie

    ReplyDelete