Sunday, May 27, 2012

Baked Beans

When I was growing up, we often had baked beans and fried chicken at our many picnics.  My mom would open a can of baked beans and add lots of other ingredients before putting them into the oven.  I tried for years to make a tasty version without the can.  The trouble I had was they took a lot of effort and didn't taste like hers.  Over the last few years my crock pot and I have become best friends.  Here is the recipe I have put together using the crock pot and tastes like mom's.  Mine is without meat, but you could easily add bacon.  Also, If I have a good buy on barbecue sauce, I substitute it for the ketchup.


Nice and Easy Baked Beans

Cook 1 pound of dried navy beans until soft in 6 cups water.  I usually do this the day before, but you can cook ahead and have them in the freezer and defrost before you need them.

1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup ketchup
1 cup water
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 t. dry mustard
1 t. salt
1/2 t black pepper

Drain water from beans.  Put them into the crock pot.  Stir all ingredients together and pour over beans.  Mix.
Cover and cook on low 5 hours.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment