Saturday, May 19, 2012

Pop, pop, pop popcorn

I love popcorn for a snack.  When I was a kid we would eat popcorn and apples on Sunday evening, instead of dinner.  My mom had a big pan with a heavy lid that she used for popcorn making.  I remember how excited I would get when she would pull that pan out. 


I bought the microwave kind for years and years.   It seemed so much easier than mom's way.  Of course, you then have extra packaging, cost, and ingredients I can't pronounce.  


For frugal reasons I stopped buying the microwave packages and instead I bought bulk popcorn and used an air popper that I had.  The air popper stopped working and it didn't make since to buy another one.  I don't like to shake a pan on the stove.  My stove popped corn never tastes like my mom's.  Also, it seems like too much work for a simple snack, unless I am making kettle corn (recipe soon).  


I found a used popper at the local used store for a couple of dollars.  It lasted about a year and then it stopped working. I still don't think that buying a new popcorn popper is the frugal way to go, so I now use the microwave and a lunch size paper sack to make popcorn.




Popcorn in a Brown Bag

Pour 1/3 cup popcorn into a small paper sack
Fold the sack over several times.  You have to fold several times so it doesn't open up   Put into the microwave for about 3 minutes.  Microwaves are all different so listen to the pop.  When it slows down, it is done.  Pour into a bowl and add your favorite seasonings.  I can use the sack 2 times before it begins to get holes.  So delicious, frugal, and simple to make.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment