Friday, June 15, 2012

Blueberry Season

Blueberries are so inexpensive right now and we have been really enjoying them.  I have been tossing them into a mixed fruit salad.  Sometimes we just wash and eat them right out of the container.  


I have been busy all week with Vacation Bible School at our church.  Our VBS is in the evenings, but I have needed to go and set up in the afternoons.  I am only working mornings at school for summer school this month, but it makes for a pretty full day.  I have been trying to get a meal prepared for us before we go.  Something fast and easy is nice for this kind of schedule.  I fixed Blueberry Whole-Wheat Pancakes and sausage for one of those meals.  What a great way to eat blueberries.


Light-as-a Feather Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes


1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour              1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder           1 1/3 cups buttermilk
   1/4 teaspoon salt                               1 tablespoon brown sugar
   1/4 teaspoon baking soda                 1 tablespoon oil
   1/2 cup fresh or frozen 
                blueberries


In medium bowl, stir dry ingredients together.  Beat egg, buttermilk, brown sugar and oil together.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Add blueberries.


Pour 1/4 cup batter for each cake into a well-seasoned hot griddle.  Turn when bubbles appear on surface.  Turn only once.  Makes 12 4-inch pancakes.


When I don't have buttermilk, I put a tablespoon of lemon juice in a measuring cup and then add milk.  


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment