Monday, June 18, 2012

Easier than Grandma's Noodles

My church holds an annual Mother's Day tea each year.  This year we had a small gathering of women and their children. My third daughter and her 3 year old daughter attended with me.  My husband came with me so he could help with the dishes and clean-up.  We had a really nice time.


When I got home I realized that I had a sore throat.  I rested for a while and then decided our tea and tea sandwiches probably would not hold my husband all evening.  I had soup broth made up from my vegetable scraps so I heated it up and threw in some onions, carrots, and mushrooms.  Then I made noodles for the soup broth from my mom's recipe.


When I was little, my grandma Grunder made noodles.  When we would come to visit, the noodles would be hanging over broom handles and such, to dry.  This recipe is really a lot easier since you don't need to dry the noodles.  


If I have left overs, I freeze them and then can add them to soup at another time.  This is a single recipe.  I usually double it.  If you double add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder with the floor.


Homemade Noodles
1 beaten egg          2 Tablespoons milk
2 teaspoon salt       1 cup flour


Add a little yellow food coloring to the beaten egg
Combine egg, salt, milk and flour.  Roll on floured surface (a pasta machine comes in handy about now, but not necessary.  Slice into noodles.  A easy method is to roll the noodles like you would for cinnamon rolls and slice through.  Drop the noodles into boiling soup or broth.  Cook 10 minutes or until done.  


This was so soothing to my thoat and so nurishing.  This recipe is great for chicken and noodles, also.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment