Monday, June 11, 2012

Meat Loaf


I was pretty young when I got married.  My skill set in the kitchen was baking bread, pies and cookies.  And as they say, "Man can not live on bread alone", so I had to scramble to figure out the rest.  Looking back I might have been ahead of the game, but knowing a frugal main dish or two would have been a good idea.  
I didn't even know how to cut-up chicken.  I had to follow a diagram in a cookbook.  When I was growing up we had a home cooked meal every night.  Where was I?
I found a recipe on the back of the oatmeal box for meatloaf.  I guess I was too young to question oatmeal in my meatloaf, because it seems to be an unlikely ingredient when I think about it now.  Had I been watching, I would have figured out my mom uses bread crumbs.  I am a great fan of finding ways to use leftover bread.  I like this meatloaf so much that I will have to continue to discover ways to use up that stale bread.  Anyway, this is my favorite meatloaf.  I hope it becomes yours too.  

Meatloaf

1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (you could use
ground turkey)
3/4 cup Quaker® Oats 
3/4 cup finely chopped onion 
1/2 cup catsup (tomato sauce or BBQ sauce works just as well, especially if you find a great coupon deal) 
1 egg, lightly beaten 
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon black pepper 
Description: http://www.epicurious.com/rd_images/primaryContent/recipe_detail/rd_buckets_divider.gif
preparation
Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl; mix lightly but thoroughly.

Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until meatloaf is done (160°F for beef, 170°F for turkey), until it is not pink in center and juices show no pink color. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.  



That is where my meatloaf recipe stopped.  I would sometimes spread some catsup on top and call it done.  A couple of years ago, I learned to put a sauce on the top (thanks Rita G.)  Twenty minutes before the meatloaf is done, drain the grease/liquid.


In a sauce pan put in 1 cup of ketchup mixed with 4T of brown sugar, 4T vinegar, 2T Worchestershire Sauce.  Bring to a boil.  Spoon over meatloaf and finish baking meatloaf.  Now it is finished.


Any extra sauce can be served on the side.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!
    I am a big fan of meat loaf I have to say. :)
    But I have never had it with oats before. Defiantly will give it a try. I tend to add more meat and onion in mine. Yours looks super tasty! Yum-Yumm.
    You have a lovely blog by the way; have enjoyed reading through your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Isobel, That's the beauty of meatloaf, you can add or subtract to your taste. If you like lots of onions, you of course could add more to the meat. You could add onions to the sauce. Let me know what you think after you try the recipe. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete