Saturday, June 30, 2012

Rosemary Onion Bread

I have a wonderful little garden outside my backdoor, my kitchen garden.  I have basil, thyme, rosemary, chives, lemongrass, parsley, lavender, dill, and sage.  I love stepping outside my door and snipping the herbs I am going to use in that days cooking.


Like most things in my life, it is a little haphazard and not planned out very well.  I like the randomness of it.  I like how it doesn't really need me to survive.  When I do dishes, I throw the rinse water out the backdoor.  When I water the other area of the garden, the water generally sweeps across, but otherwise I don't water it on purpose.  I weed when I go out to snip and see a stray weed.


I like to use herbs in my cooking, but especially my bread making.  I have several bread recipes using rosemary.  Here is one.  I love the smell and taste of the onion and the rosemary together.  I hope this becomes a favorite of yours too.  Please let me know if you enjoy it.






Bread Machine Rosemary and Onion Bread


1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 2/3 cups unbleached flour
1/3 cup stone ground whole wheat flour 
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 teaspoons active dry yeast


Add ingredients according to bread machine instructions.
I use the dough setting on my machine.  Then I take the dough out and add a little flour if too sticky.
Shape into 1 oval shape loaf.  Place loaf on oiled baking sheet or stone.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in size about 40 minutes.  While loaf is rising, preheat oven to 400 degrees.  
I sprinkle flour on the loaf for a rustic finish.
Use a serrated knife to slash 2 or 3 times on the top of the loaf.
Bake bread until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when thumped, 25 to 35 minutes.  Makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf. 



No comments:

Post a Comment